Olx is an online marketplace used by many people in India to buy and sell pre-owned goods. Olx started its operations in 2006, since then it has seen a huge growth in its operations and helped out thousands of people to buy and sell pre-owned products. Recently one Olx Scam is gaining popularity and many people are falling prey to these scams!
Today we are going to investigate and try to know more about this Olx Scam. So that more and more people can be aware of what Olx Scams are happening and how they can be safe from these scams.
How does the OLX Scam start?
Imagine that you are looking to sell some product in your house that is of no more use to you. So you list your product on OLX, hoping to sell it as soon as possible. When you post any add on OLX you will have multiple people who are interested in buying the product. But not all of the interested people are real buyers, some of them are scammers who are trying to loot you!
OLX Scammers then takes advantage of your emotions
It is seen nowadays that these Olx Scammers have totally lost all shame and are pretending to be a soldier in the Indian Army! They will send a message which will look something like this :
“Hi, I am working in the Indian Army and I am going to be posted to XYZ location near you….”
When someone says he/she is working for the Army we always show our gratitude towards them and try to help them so that we can do a little bit of help for them. But these scammers are taking advantage of the emotions of people. They first make people think that they are soldiers who want this product for some really genuine reason and then scam them.
The deal is then finalized
After some discussion the Scammer will agree to your terms and show that he is willing to buy the product. You are also happy that you are selling your product and that too to a soldier! What a great day for you, isn’t it?
No! You have willingly initialized the process of an OLX Scam!
Here comes the Scam
The Scammer will ask you to choose an online payment platform such as GPay, PhonePe, PayTm,etc. And will request to use online payment to accept the payment. Now considering you know he is a soldier and not near you currently, you agree to accept the payment method.
Here is where the main scam rolls in, the scammer will then send you a QR Code and ask you to scan it so that you can accept the payment. He says he will pay half of the amount now and half when he picks up the product.
You will receive a QR code as shown below
After scanning the QR code you will be asked to enter your UPI PIN,
Once you enter the UPI PIN and then voila! Next thing you know that you have been scammed! Instead of the amount being credited it was debited from your account! You panic and try to contact the trustworthy soldier, only to find out that he has blocked you out from everywhere. In these easy steps you have just lost a lot of money!
Let us Help you! Here is how you can easily spot this Olx scam and avoid it:
- Never should you believe any stranger on the internet, anyone can pretend to be anyone! We can not be sure about anyone’s identity and on platforms like OLX where only email id and mobile number are enough to open an account. That is why it is always said to doubt everything on the internet.
- If the person you are dealing with is a scammer he will agree to all of your terms. Remember a genuine buyer will always try to ask more and more questions and try to reduce the price of the product. He will not agree to everything you say.
- When you agree to accept the payment via an online payment platform, no matter what the platform is The person who is Paying is required to scan a QR code and not the Receiver. Do not forget this fact ever in your life.
- You will be asked to enter your UPI PIN only when you are paying someone! Do not enter your UPI PIN in any case when someone asks you to do so when accepting a payment.
If you remember these things and don’t do them when someone asks you to do so, we are sure that you will not be losing any money on OLX to these clever OLX Scams!
Here are some examples on how people were approached by the Olx Scammers and tried to Scam them!
- Look how this lady was scammed by these Olx Scammers when she tried to sell her Bed. https://qr.ae/pNyrZ2
- How this guy Saved himself from the Olx Scammers : https://qr.ae/pNyrcN
We hope that this article helped you to know more about this Olx Scam and helped you to be safe out there while using Olx. Share it with your friends to make them aware about this ongoing scam.
Stay Safe Digitally!