Why am I getting so many spam calls? How to stop spam calls?
Most common way used by spammers is cold calling. They call you pretending to be from some finance company or retain company or some other organization.
While almost everyone in India is fed up with these spam calls, the Indian government have not taken any harsh steps for stopping these spam calls.
But, it is not like no measures were taken. The National Customer Preference Register (NCPR) was implemented and the Do-Not-Disturb (DND) registry came into effect on 27th September 2011.
How to block unwanted or spam calls?
To block unwanted or spam calls you can:
- Register your number in the Do Not Disturb (DND) registry.
- Block top spammers using Truecaller app.
- Allow calls from numbers saved in your phone.
What is Do Not Disturb Registry?
Using this service you can limit the number of calls you receive. Intended to stop the spam calls, DND proved somewhat successful. But, surprisingly, Indians still receive a lot of spam calls.
To register your number in DND registry, you can call your company and ask them to activate the DND service.
In my experience, activating the DND service will decrease the amount of spam calls you receive, but it’ll not stop the spam calls.
You might need to take additional precautions to avoid getting spam calls like one mentioned below.
How to block unwanted calls using Truecaller?
Truecaller is very helpful in identifying spam calls. In fact, when any new spam is there in the market, I would say, Truecaller gives a first hint to potential victims that the number they are receiving calls from is a spam call and they should either not attend it or just ignore whatever they have to say.
There is a guide on official Truecaller blog on how to block top spam calls.
How to block unsaved numbers from calling you?
If you don’t know, there is a setting in your phone which when activated only allows your saved contacts to call you.
To activate that setting please follow following steps:
- Go to settings
- Click on device
- Click on Blocking mode
- Set time to always
- Then you’ll be asked to set allowed contacts, select all contacts.
Once you have activated this, you’ll receive calls only from those people whose contacts numbers you have saved. You’ll not even receive any text from unknown numbers.
If you don’t find above setting in your phone, there are many apps available on the play store which you can use to block calls from unsaved contacts.
However, it is very inefficient method. Consider someone from your family or friend is in trouble and don’t have access to their phone and they want to contact you. Since the other number is not saved, you’ll never know they are in trouble and that they seek help.
Most efficient way is to use Truecaller for the purpose.
Do you know?
- According to Truecaller, Indian ranks 5th in the world for receiving most spam calls. Source: TheHindu.com https://www.thehindu.com/sci-tech/technology/india-falls-to-5th-spot-in-global-spam-call-ranking-truecaller/article30149260.ece
- An Indian received around 26 spam calls per month on average per month. (1 call averagely per working day.) Source: QuartzIndia https://qz.com/india/1760107/telecom-firms-make-most-spam-calls-in-india-says-truecaller-2/
- India can save $414 million every year JUST BY IGNORING SPAM CALLS. Source: The Economic Times https://economictimes.indiatimes.com/tech/software/ignoring-spam-calls-can-save-india-414-million-every-year/articleshow/60454503.cms